Business Development Manager
Job Posted: 9/30/2021
Polaris MEP, a division of URI Research Foundation and an affiliate of the Hollings Manufacturing Extension Partnership (MEP) National Network, guides Rhode Island manufacturers to sustainable growth, innovative technology strategies and cost-efficient operations.
We are seeking a Business Development Manager with manufacturing experience and a proven track record of successfully selling and facilitating progressive organizational change and development.
Project Managers are core to the success of Polaris MEP programs and to the manufacturing community in Rhode Island. This position is responsible for identification, transformation plan development and project management to these companies. Our mission is to be the trusted advisor for our client companies.
The candidate must possess sound judgment and creative problem-solving skills, including negotiation, sales and conflict resolution. The ideal Business Development Manager candidate works effectively in a team-dependent environment but is self-reliant, results oriented, energetic, flexible, and proactive.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Establish relationships with senior personnel of small and medium sized manufacturing companies (SMMs) in Rhode Island to identify future growth opportunities.
- Develop new business opportunities for Polaris MEP staff. This includes identifying root cause problems versus symptoms and differentiate between client’s needs and wants.
- Provide information, decision support and/or guidance to SMMs leadership personnel of implementation assistance services in adopting new, more advanced manufacturing technologies, techniques, and business best practices.
- Prospect, qualify, close and/or develop and manage clients in-order-to generate revenues pursuant to the Center’s earnings goals.
- Conduct outreach activities (webinars, one-on-one meetings, presentations) and represent Polaris MEP at promotional events, in collaboration with the marketing team, to promote awareness of services that improve SMM performance and global competitiveness.
- Participate in the development of new training curriculum and service delivery options.
- Maintain awareness of the latest enhancements and developments in advanced manufacturing.
- Identify trends, industry drivers, and technology gaps across manufacturers in Rhode Island.
- Other duties as assigned to support the operation and success of Polaris MEP.
- Four-year college degree in engineering or business, or a related field. A Master’s degree in the appropriate discipline and a relevant experience will be considered competitive but is not required.
- Minimum 10 years of actual business, manufacturing, engineering, or operations management experience required.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in an executive level position.
- Experience with sales and business development in a manufacturing environment is preferred.
- Extensive knowledge of manufacturing operations management with an understanding of best practices and operating issues of manufacturers is essential.
- Understanding of business analysis financial tools, and the ability to read and understand financial statements is important.
- Knowledge of basic enterprise support functions including advanced manufacturing technology, succession planning, supply chain management, distribution, sales and marketing, safety, regulatory requirements, and quality.
- Proven ability to build trust and maintain effective working relationships with clients and partners.
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft productivity tools and Salesforce recommended.
- Previous consulting experience and business development experience strongly preferred.
Polaris MEP follows safe COVID practices and is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply for this Business Development Manager position, please send a resume and cover letter to [email protected].
Polaris MEP, a department of URI Research Foundation, recognizes that the field of manufacturing needs to be strengthened by contributions from a broad range of perspectives. The URI Research Foundation is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion and seeks to serve as a representative inspiration for the next generations.
As such, we particularly welcome candidates from groups that are underrepresented, marginalized, and/or excluded in manufacturing who will support the mission of both URI and the URI Research Foundation to expose manufacturing to different perspectives. Candidates will demonstrate a commitment to inclusivity and will enhance a sense of belonging and success.
We are Equal Opportunity Employers. No persons will be discriminated against in employment because of race, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other protected characteristic.
Every employee is expected to carry out and support these policies.
Polaris MEP, 401 Tech Bridge and the URI Research Foundation together have a clear vision: to be a community in which a diverse mix of talented people come together to make a lasting difference. Our success comes only through the dedication of our employees and thoughtful, creative collaboration. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer.