What is AS9100 Certification?
Simply put, AS9100 is the International Quality Management System (QMS) standard for the Aerospace industry. It relates to ISO 9001 but takes it further towards ensuring product safety and reliability.
An AS9100 registered QMS shows a business’ commitment to quality and dedication to customer satisfaction. This certification meets QMS standards for the Department of Defense (DOD), Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), and National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA).
In September 2016, the revised AS9100 D Aerospace Standard was released. As of September 15, 2018, there is no option to renew AS9100C certification.
How will this impact you? Find out at the next AS9100 Lunch & Learn on Nov 7 – register here.
AS9100 D focuses on:
- Product Safety – manufacturers develop, implement, and manage processes that ensure product safety throughout its life cycle
- Prevention of Counterfeit Parts – manufacturers create control processes to prevent the infiltration of counterfeit parts into the product
- Risk-based Thinking – manufacturers employ risk-based thinking that focuses on continuous improvement
- Organizational Commitment – the QMS considers all stakeholders, from customers to suppliers and subcontractors to the community
- Management Accountability – following the QMS helps to identify gaps in goal/target achievement and develops processes to address them
- Human Factors – manufacturers account for and control stress, fatigue, and employee satisfaction that may positively or negatively impact quality and productivity
Why Should My Business Be AS9100 Certified?
More manufacturers in the aerospace industry are shifting to doing business only with manufacturers/suppliers that are AS9100 certified. This certification helps ensure customers receive consistently high-quality services and products that comply with regulatory and statutory requirements. Certification also helps promote continuous quality and performance improvements.
What Are the Benefits of AS9100 Certification?
Your business has much to gain by becoming AS9100 D certified:
- Strong Customer/Supplier Relationships – AS9100 D certification tells customers and suppliers that you operate using a strong QMS to supply products that consistently meet or exceed quality expectations and are delivered promptly.
- Valid Decision Making – Top management involvement in QSM development and monitoring, QSM awareness by all employees, and regular reviews of process
esperformance data drive appropriate decisions for continuous improvement.
- Operational Efficiency – A strong QSM works to lessen waste and increase productivity, resulting in greater operational efficiency.
- Decreased Operational Risk – When you practice risk-based thinking, you safeguard product safety, control issues that affect product quality, and address threats to your business.
- Business Growth – Being certified in a globally recognized certification opens opportunities for doing business with international markets.
Sounds Great! How Can My Business Get Started?
Polaris MEP can help you navigate through the certification process. Call or email at [email protected] or 401-270-8896 for more information. We’re here to help keep Rhode Island manufacturers on track and ready for success.