Job Posted: 07/07/20
Note: This career opportunity has been posted on behalf of 401 Tech Bridge. 401 Tech Bridge is, like Polaris MEP, a business unit of URI Ventures.
The Finance Director position will be responsible for the day-to-day administrative and financial operations of the 401 Tech Bridge organization. This includes the ongoing development and refinement of financial and operational strategy, and the ongoing development and monitoring of control systems designed to preserve company assets and report accurate financial results.
The Finance Director position will serve as a strategic advisor and partner to URI Ventures management and Board of Directors helping to drive the organizations performance by providing fact-based analysis and strategic financial direction. This position will support the organization in improving health through grant management and in performance growth through financial analysis and functional support.
Polaris MEP, 401 Tech Bridge and the URI Research Foundation together have a clear vision: to be a community in which a diverse mix of talented people come together to make a lasting difference.
Our success comes only through the dedication of our employees and thoughtful, creative collaboration.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
- Ensure that financial information, analysis and reporting is accurate, timely, reliable and relevant.
- Manage financial and business performance by refining appropriate metrics on which to measure the organization’s business, monitoring variances to forecasts, and developing action plans to address variances. Work with team members to identify and address trends, implement corrective actions and performance improvement actions.
- Provide consistent and accurate financial forecasting for company.
- Oversee all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems, ensuring compliance with appropriate Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and regulatory requirements.
- Maintain internal control safeguards and coordinate all audit activities.
- Ensure that the Company is in continuous compliance with all statutory, regulatory, banking, tax, and other external and internal operating, reporting and record keeping requirements to which the company is subject.
- Manage the Treasury function, including cash management, cash forecasting, accounts receivable and accounts payable. Develop a reliable cash flow projection process and reporting mechanism to meet operating needs of the company.
- Maintain key relationships with insurance broker, ensuring awareness of all significant business developments and maintenance of appropriate coverage.
- Maintain key banking relationships, ensuring bank is aware of all significant business developments and partner on strategies to ensure company is always adequately funded.
- Oversee budgeting and the implementation of budgets to monitor progress and present financial metrics internally.
- Mentor and develop Finance team, managing work allocation, training, problem resolution, performance evaluation, and the building of an effective team dynamic.
The URI Ventures Finance position will be an experienced leader with at least 10 to 15+ years of broad finance experience in a no-profit organization that is funded by federal, state and private funding streams followed by significant experience in development and oversight of Finance functions and processes, including at the CFO or equivalent level. This position will have experience managing all Finance activities (accounting, budgeting, control, and reporting) within an organization with multiple P/Ls and interdependencies.
- BS in Accounting, finance or business administration
- Demonstrated senior-level experience within a grant funded non-profit company
- Ability to fully understand an organization’s business model and develop optimized financial tools to support that model
- Experience managing programs funded by federal grants
- Experience organizing programs with overhead and indirect requirements from multiple funding streams
- Management of a parent organization with of multiple P/Ls and inter division dependencies
- Excellent, hands-on working knowledge of financial planning and analysis, budgeting and forecasting, cost accounting, risk management, and tax and treasury
- Experience with Excel, Quickbooks or other financial management tools
- Advanced Excel and PowerPoint skills
- Success in managing additional functions such as IT and Administrative activities
- Technical knowledge of various business information systems and ability to leverage to deliver impactful data to organizations, as well as experience in implementing, upgrading, or merging business information systems in non-profit and for profit organizations
- Experience and comfort managing banking relationships, tax/audit relationships, and external vendors
- Experience working with Department of Defense and other federal agencies and their financial reporting requirements
- CPA strongly desired
- Operations management experience strongly desired
Critical Personal Attributes:
- Ability to form positive and productive relationships with owners, key leaders and key external stakeholders
- Demonstrable passion for driving results and achieving goals
- Demonstrable attention to accuracy and detail, especially with respect to financial information
- Impeccable ethics and integrity
- Able to work independently and demonstrates good judgment in decision-making
- Desire to work in a dynamic environment and flexibly adjust style and priorities as required
- Ability to summarize data into critical insights and share with owners, advisory board members and key leadership
- Strong analytical skills interpreting a strategic vision into an operational model
- Ability/willingness to travel and oversee remote locations as needed
- Effective communication skills at all levels in the organization, with strong oral and written skills and a willingness to share information
- A collaborative and flexible style, with a strong service mentality
- Competitive base salary commensurate with experience
- Healthcare plan, Life Insurance, 401K plan with match and Paid-Time-Off
To apply for this position, please send a resume and cover letter to [email protected].
Polaris MEP, 401 Tech Bridge and URI Ventures (formerly URI Research Foundation) are committed to creating a diverse environment built on respect for all. We are proud to be Equal Opportunity Employers.
No persons will be discriminated against in employment because of race, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity or expression, veteran status or any other protected characteristic.
We are committed to the fulfillment of this principle by employing individuals based upon job-related criteria including education, experience and skills.
Each employee is expected to support and carry out this policy fully in all their relations with present and prospective employees and in any dealings they may have with others as a representative of Polaris MEP, 401 Tech Bridge or URI Ventures. In fulfilling our commitment to creating and maintaining a diverse environment, URI Ventures and its business units will not tolerate discrimination of any kind.