Job Posted: 08/03/20
Reports to: URI Research Foundation COO
Polaris MEP, a division of URI Ventures and a MEP National Network affiliate, guides Rhode Island manufacturers to sustainable growth, innovative technology strategies and cost-efficient operations.
The Center Director leads Polaris MEP programs that are supported by funding from the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) Manufacturing Extension Partnership (MEP) Program to strengthen small and medium-sized manufacturers within Rhode Island. The MEP Center Director collaborates with community leaders in economic development roles and with other organizations to engage and leverage assets in support of economic development priorities.
The MEP Center Director leads and manages the delivery of appropriate continuous improvement and other initiatives that supports clients’ commercial and process improvement goals. The MEP Center Director, working together with the staff, is responsible for generating sufficient project and grant revenue to ensure financial sustainability and for impacts performance to meet the requirements of stakeholders in accordance to scope of specific grants and partnership agreements, specifically NIST MEP.
Polaris MEP, 401 Tech Bridge and the URI Research Foundation together have a clear vision: to be a community in which a diverse mix of talented people come together to make a lasting difference.
Our success comes only through the dedication of our employees and thoughtful, creative collaboration.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage relationships with NIST MEP as well as federal and state peer organizations.
- Identifies and develops partnerships with other training organizations and vendors and oversees the internal execution of the Center’s commitments within all partnership and vendor agreements.
- Identifies the center’s responsibilities as specified in grant documents and partnership agreements, assigns responsibilities within the center accordingly and follows up, directly and through intermediate supervisors, to ensure the execution of all scope of work on grants and commitments.
- Responsible for the development of the Board of Advisors and potential committees.
- Develops budget for Polaris MEP Center activities and manages the day-to-day operations of the Center to ensure that monthly, quarterly and annual sales, revenue and expense objectives are met. Implements corrective strategies and reassigns responsibilities and budget priorities to account for revenue shortfalls.
- Determines the staffing and operating requirements. Oversees the planning and deployment of resources within the Center to ensure that objectives are met, including recruiting, training, development, setting objectives, measuring and evaluating performance, and providing feedback. Makes compensation & employment decisions.
- Leads & coaches field staff on the role of “Trusted Advisor” to provide the client’s Senior Management with suggested strategic direction to ensure appropriate, and specific to the business, initiatives are delivered to enhance the continuous improvement and innovation of the business processes.
- Represent the MEP Center at State and National events/activities as required.
- Develop and maintain relationships and partnerships with community stake holders through active engagement and community outreach to foster a positive referral system and financial support for programs.
- Approves proposals/contracts for delivering services to client companies.
- Perform other tasks and projects as assigned.
The above listed duties and responsibilities are for reference only. Additional duties and responsibilities may apply.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Engineering, Education or Quality or other related field preferred. MBA desirable. Experience may be substituted for field of study.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in a manufacturing environment, with some supervisory experience. (Leadership/Management role in manufacturing environment highly desirable.)
- Strong and effective strategic management skills are required, including long range planning, organizing, facilitating, communicating, influencing, gathering and using information, and motivating a team to achieve results
- Prior experience managing others including recruiting, developing, setting objectives, measuring performance, and providing feedback.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including the ability to influence external and internal decision-makers and to provide direction and feedback to others.
- Skilled in the use of computer for communication, data management and reporting including Microsoft Outlook, Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
- Must be able to work well under pressure, manage and prioritize multiple tasks and have a flexible schedule.
- Experienced with manufacturing industry equipment and regulations preferred but not required.
- Lean and or Six Sigma Methodology experience. Problem solving experience highly desirable.
- Financial management highly desirable.
- Previous knowledge/experience of Economic Development is highly desirable.
- Previous Consulting experience highly desirable.
To apply for this position, please send a resume and cover letter to [email protected].
Polaris MEP, 401 Tech Bridge and URI Ventures (formerly URI Research Foundation) are committed to creating a diverse environment built on respect for all. We are proud to be Equal Opportunity Employers.
No persons will be discriminated against in employment because of race, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity or expression, veteran status or any other protected characteristic.
We are committed to the fulfillment of this principle by employing individuals based upon job-related criteria including education, experience and skills.
Each employee is expected to support and carry out this policy fully in all their relations with present and prospective employees and in any dealings they may have with others as a representative of Polaris MEP, 401 Tech Bridge or URI Ventures. In fulfilling our commitment to creating and maintaining a diverse environment, URI Ventures and its business units will not tolerate discrimination of any kind.