Senior Accountant (URI Ventures, formerly URI Research Foundation)
Job Posted: 12/13/2023
URI Ventures (formerly URI Research Foundation) is seeking to strengthen its accounting team. Certified Public Accountant preferred; B.S. in Accounting required along with a passion for improving society and human lives.
URI Ventures (formerly the URI Research Foundation) oversees market analysis, commercialization of protected intellectual property, and the development of business relationships with corporate and government partners. These commercialization activities advance Rhode Island’s economy while improving society and human lives.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for all month end close processes including journal entries and reconciliations.
- Prepare reports for the CFO and Leadership Team including monthly and annual financial statements.
- Monitors budget vs. actual revenue and expenses for all business units and prepares analysis for Leadership Team explaining variances.
- Prepare Federal and State grant budgets and forecasts. Prepare grant budget revisions and renewals as necessary. Monitors budget-to-actual performance for all grants.
- Ensure financial compliance with all Federal, State, and private funding sources.
- Ensure compliance with GAAP principles.
- Main liaison with the outside CPA firm. Directs and prepares workpapers and provides requested documentation for the annual Financial Statement Audit, Single Audit and Form 990 preparation.
- Reviews annual audited F/S drafts provided by outside CPA firm.
- Reviews the annual Form 990 draft provided by outside CPA Firm.
- Assists with development of Accounting Policies and updates the Accounting and Policies Procedures Manual. Develop and document business processes and accounting policies to maintain and strengthen internal controls.
- Acts as Administrator for Sage software package and reviews and recommends modifications to accounting systems and procedures to increase efficiencies and use technology to reduce manual processes.
- Coordinates and reviews annual 1099 reporting with outside CPA Firm.
- Prepares the annual Census report and Compliance Questionnaire for the 403B Plan.
- Reviews the annual Form 5500 report for the 403B Plan.
- Assists with personnel concerns regarding health insurance and other fringe benefits. Review benefit package on an annual basis to ensure best quality and cost – for the Company and the employees.
Ideal Candidate Has:
- Minimum of 3-5 years in Staff/Senior Accounting roles
- S. in Accounting required.
- Certified Public Accountant preferred.
- Experience with Sage Intacct or similar Accounting Software package highly desirable.
- Experience working for a nonprofit Organization is highly desirable.
- Experience with Federal grant reporting and compliance is highly desirable.
- Must be familiar with Microsoft software products including Outlook, Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- In-depth understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Familiarity with financial accounting statements
- Experience with general ledger functions and the month-end/year-end close process
- Excellent time management skills with the ability to multi-task with a high attention to detail.
- Ability to professionally communicate with internal and external stakeholders at all levels.
Job Type: Full-Time
Salary: $85,000.00 – $95,000.00 per year
URI Ventures follows safe COVID practices and is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply for this Senior Accountant position, please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
URI Ventures recognizes that the fields of technology and manufacturing need to be strengthened by contributions from a broad range of perspectives. URI Ventures is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion and seeks to serve as a representative inspiration for the next generations.
As such, we particularly welcome candidates from groups that are underrepresented, marginalized, and/or excluded who will support the mission of both URI and URI Ventures to expose commercialization to different perspectives. Candidates will demonstrate a commitment to inclusivity and will enhance a sense of belonging and success.
We are Equal Opportunity Employers. No persons will be discriminated against in employment because of race, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other protected characteristic.
Every employee is expected to carry out and support these policies.
Polaris MEP, 401 Tech Bridge and the URI Research Foundation together have a clear vision: to be a community in which a diverse mix of talented people come together to make a lasting difference. Our success comes only through the dedication of our employees and thoughtful, creative collaboration. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer.