State of RI Manufacturing Study
Exploring the Trends Driving Rhode Island’s Manufacturing Industry
On October 4, 2022 Polaris MEP released the State of RI Manufacturing Study, a first-ever in-depth look at the trends affecting the manufacturing sector in the Ocean State.
Points Consulting led the research and analysis, pulling from public data and a comprehensive survey of Rhode Island manufacturers.
The study’s findings have implications for policymakers and manufacturers themselves, to keep the Rhode Island Manufacturing industry as an economic driver for the state.
Media / Legislators: For more insights into the 2022 State of Rhode Island Manufacturing report, or to dive deeper into a specific data point, please contact Erin Read at 401-440-8350 or eread@PolarisMEP.org.
Polaris MEP assembled a team of highly-qualified personnel to produce this first-ever State of Rhode Island Manufacturing study. Cross Sector Consulting, LLP, and Points Consulting, LLC, supported development of this report. Specifically, the team
• Reviewed existing reports with references to the manufacturing sector in Rhode Island.
• Analyzed manufacturing industry data using a variety of reputable and reliable sources.
• Designed a Voice of Manufacturers survey instrument and collected data from 150+ manufacturers.
• Conducted key informant interviews with manufacturing company leaders and industry partners including the Rhode Island Manufacturers Association.
• Vetted information with industry partners to ensure relevance and meaningfulness of information.
As part of the comprehensive study, the team produced additional content such as a stand-alone report with the results of the Voice of Manufacturers (VOM) survey and a stand-alone report with quantitative analyses of the state’s manufacturing sector.
The Polaris MEP website also maintains an economic dashboard with a snapshot of how the sector is performing in eight main areas. This draws from national data sources and helps leaders focus on metrics most important to measuring the sector’s economic progress and talent needs.
Financial support for the 2022 State of Manufacturing Rhode Island study was provided by Polaris MEP.
A statewide nonprofit organization, Polaris MEP provides competitive business improvements to grow Rhode Island’s manufacturing industry. The Center is an affiliate of the National Institute of Standards and Technology’s Hollings Manufacturing Extension Partnership (NIST MEP) and a business unit of the University of Rhode Island Research Foundation.