INFOGRAPHIC: Integrating Cybersecurity with Industry 4.0 — What it means for manufacturing
October is #CybersecurityAwareness Month. To mark the occasion and “empower through education,” the Manufacturing Extension Partnership (MEP) National Network has released a new infographic with insights into integrating cybersecurity with Industry 4.0.
Manufacturing is now the most targeted industry for cybersecurity attacks. This puts the Ocean State’s manufacturing companies and the state’s economy at risk just as more of these businesses are investing in automation, robotics and other Industry 4.0 technology.
Click here to view a PDF of the infographic, or read on for some related tips.
Why and How is Polaris MEP Marking the 2023 Cybersecurity Awareness Month?
Polaris MEP is one of 51 non-profit MEP centers that make up the National Institutes of Standards and Technology (NIST) Hollings MEP National Network.
In keeping with the network’s mission to serve as THE resource for smaller and medium-sized manufacturers, Polaris MEP has been sharing tips and links on social media platforms throughout October.
These helpful tips include:
- The average cost of a data breach for small businesses is $150k! Find out how to protect your data by visiting https://www.nist.gov/mep/cybersecurity-resources-manufacturers/where-start
- Know your enemy! Familiarize yourself with common cyber threats like ransomware, phishing, and insider threats that can impact manufacturing. Read more at https://www.nist.gov/blogs/manufacturing-innovation-blog/5-most-common-cybersecurity-threats-manufacturers
- Develop a patch management process to ensure that all devices and software are up to date with security patches. Learn why in the new infographic from the MEP National Network (below).
- Establish a business continuity plan that includes procedures for data recovery and system restoration. Find out how to recover from a cyberattack https://www.nist.gov/blogs/manufacturing-innovation-blog/how-recover-cyber-attack
- Leadership’s commitment to cybersecurity sets the tone for the entire organization. Lead by example and prioritize security. https://www.nist.gov/blogs/manufacturing-innovation-blog/7-manufacturing-digitization-challenges-and-how-overcome-them
- About 1 out of 5 breaches were the result of supply chain compromises. Vet suppliers and third-party vendors for their #cybersecurity practices. Ensure they meet your security standards. NEW RESOURCE: Polaris MEP’s Supply Chain Assessment (a complimentary service/report) includes questions related to cybersecurity. Click here to schedule yours, today.
Infographic — Integrating Cybersecurity with I4.0
Manufacturers of all sizes should be aware that industry 4.0 technologies like IoT and automation enhance productivity, but they also introduce new cyber risks.
Read tips on how to protect your information in the infographic below (first published by NIST MEP in September 2023). Then, call Polaris MEP at 401-270-8896 to see how we can help you with your cybersecurity needs.